As a QARC systems subscriber, you have access to the support portal, in addition to our standard support options
Please view the frequently asked questions page before you look any further
View a sample of the Companion by clicking on the button below
Learn ARChetype & Revit by reading one of our tutorials
How to start a one storey project?
There is no problem with deleting Levels 1 & 2 if you are doing a single storey project. The views deleted will all be related to the levels that you’re not interested in anyway. Don’t forget to move the top plate level down to the correct height for your single storey building.
Is ARChetype a Template (rte) or Project (rvt) file?
The ARChetype is a template in the broader sense of the word – not a Revit ‘template’ per se. Easy to see where the confusion would be. The ARChetype is a Revit Project file and you should open and save it as such. We do supply the ARChetype as a Revit Template file (rte), for those users who want to start a new project using Revit’s template file opening system.
How to add extra levels within the ARChetype?
The ARChetype is setup for 3 storey max buildings but adding levels is not a problem. In a section or elevation, select the Level tool (Architecture tab -> Datum panel). Ensure the Make Plan View box is ticked. This will cause Revit to create a floor plan and an RCP for your new level. Draw in your new level between Level 2 and roof top plate in your project. Adjust your levels to the appropriate heights. Always leave the roof top plate as the upper most level as the roof plan views are associated with this level. Every time you add a level, it means a plan view is created. We suggest you apply the relevant ViewTemplate to it as well. Then as an idea, repeat this methodology and duplicate that view and name it “working” so you have both a sheet version and working version.
How long does it take to load QARC4Revit?
To install the QARC4Revit plug-in, from wo to go, around 5-10 minutes. That is for the plug-in itself. Purchasing subscription entitlements is fast, and once payment is processed you have access to those entitlements the next time you load Revit.
QARC4Revit loads each time Revit is opened. You see a splash screen showing its progress. It adds up to a minute depending upon your internet speed.
On how many computers can I install QARC4Revit?
Feel free to install QARC4Revit on as many computers as you like. It will only run on one computer at a time, per user.
Is QARC4Revit an annual subscription product?
Yes it is, for Professional and Premium. You will be invoiced on the same month every year. If you choose not to pay, after four weeks, your access to the paid version will be removed.
Please note, the plug-in is constantly being updated, so staying a subscriber is a good idea!
Free of course is yours for as long as it is installed on a computer.
How do I uninstall QARC4Revit?
Simple. Like any piece of software, just Uninstall it via Programs & Features in the Control Panel. It is a good idea to do this if you pass or sell the computer onto others.
You may want to load QARC4Revit onto another computer, so look at the FAQ about that.
How do I install QARC4Revit onto another computer?
QARC4Revit is a cloud based plug-in, with its content not on your computer. Its functionality and availability is ‘built’ every time you run Revit. This means any updates or improvements are almost immediately available to you.
Your entitlements belong with your login details and your A360 account. So if you install QARC4Revit on a computer, and login, on the next opening of Revit, your entitlements automatically arrive.
Please be aware that when you run Revit on a second computer, QARC4Revit is disabled on the first computer. For each user’s login.
So, to install QARC4Revit on another computer (or the first time), just click on I WANT QARC anywhere on this website, which takes you to the I WANT QARC page. That page explains the simple installation page.
What do I do when the QARC Browser says “Waiting for Revit Invoke” and it's stuck?
That usually means Revit’s own Task Scheduling Engine has had a hiccup. We know it can be caused by one of three things. Your internet is slow at the moment of dragging, or you may have clicked on a command in Revit which confused Revit, or lastly it is caused by too much happening on your computer.
The simplest way to deal with any of these errors is to save, shutdown Revit, reopen. You see, Revit’s API is a tricky beast, and sometimes just gets upset!
You can also simply wait while your internet catches up, and the families are likely to load, without needing to re-start. If it takes longer than 5 minutes then we suggest save, shutdown Revit, reopen.
The Task Scheduling Engine gets upset as explained here by our coder Justin Brown from Orbis Information Technologies:
The ‘Waiting for Revit Invoke’ message is due to the peculiarities of how Revit requires certain actions to be executed at a low level. The code routine that inserts content into the active project requires the cooperation of Revit’s internal task scheduling engine, so what is actually happening is that we make a request to Revit’s scheduler to perform the insert function, and then wait for it to call back to us to indicate that it is ready to proceed. Very early versions of the plugin would bypass the scheduler, but this would often cause Revit to crash outright, so there’s no real way for us to avoid using the scheduler.
As a result, on occasion it can result in the content browser sitting at the ‘Waiting for Revit Invoke’ stage, or even outright blocking at this step, due to Revit never calling back to us to indicate that it is ready to proceed – either due to higher-than-normal system load or hidden background tasks, but also occasionally for no reason at all (that we are able to discern).
My suggestion would be if you are experiencing the invoke message hanging around for longer than normal would be to check if your machine is under higher-than normal CPU load that could be causing the delay.
Does QARC4Revit run on RevitLT?
The short answer is no, sorry. RevitLT cannot load plug-ins.
But . . .
If enough LT users request access, we will build something. Send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
How often is content added to the QARC4Revit browser?
But if you need something, let us know. email@example.com
If you would like to see a manufacturer’s content in the browser, let them know “I won’t specify your product unless I can find it in QARC4Revit!”
How often is the ARChetype updated?
Roughly annually. The ARChetype is our name for the very comprehensive template we provide.
Why is Drag+Drop of System Families so special?
System Family delivery is a unique service in QARC4Revit. There are two points:
- Things like walls, rooves and floors are what’s called “System Families” in Revit. Until our unique plug-in, these system families could only be built within a project file. There is no other method to Drag+Drop them into Revit. You can open a previous project and copy+paste a system family between open projects – if you can actually find what you are looking for. That is how others have attempted to resolve this – by creating a small project file with a ‘farm’ (collection) of System Families. This process is extremely cumbersome and a definite deterrent to architects and designers.
- The other point is a big one. It involves understanding how materials and rendering works in Revit. The short version is that a user must be given every texture image file and then know where to put it on the C: drive. After placing it in the specific “right” spot then you have to map the path to this file and ‘teach’ Revit where that is – for every single instance of its use by the system families. Unfortunately very few Revit users understand this – let alone know how to resolve it. QARC4Revit is unique in that it does all this automatically in the background every time as a user performs the Drag+Drop of the system family.
What are the differences between free and paid content?
The QARC Library has over 4000 items and growing, while the QARC Free library has over 800. So, just in quantity, the paid version has a very large amount. It is all Australian relevant and available through Drag+Drop from our unique content browser. We have created a very large amount of System Families to choose from. You know – floors, rooves, walls. But as well there are roof cappings, fascias, gutters and gutter end caps. Not to mention, dimensions, text and hatches. And then there are a huge quantity of doors and windows.
The main difference between paid and free is that the free content has not been originally created by QARC Systems, but has been cross checked and adjusted to work, including renderable.
How secure is the QARC4Revit plug-in?
By Glenn Bond, director of Orbis Technologies, who built the plug-in –
For security we used best industry practices for storage, delivery and identification; for security/legal reasons I will not go into much detail of what we did to make QARC4Revit secure and safe to use. Points we can share:
- All QARC4Revit executable code is secured and can’t interact with insecure code.
- All QARC delivered Content for Revit is not executable at therefore can’t include viruses etc.
- All QARC Australian content is hosted in Australia.
Does QARC4Revit affect Revit's performance?
By Glenn Bond, director of Orbis Technologies, who built the plug-in –
As regards Performance we did several things to make QARC4Revit fast enough to have a good user experience. Important note about how Revit processes loading Plugin’s, only one at a time can be loaded and many of Revit’s processes are what we call synchronous which means only one thing can happen at a time even on a multi core computer.
- Startup pre-caching, while there is a delay during a loading of the core QARC4Revit plug-in components this delay is so that all further processing is faster.
- QARC4Revit uses asynchronous side loading where possible, this is where our plug-in loaded content is loaded using a separate Thread/CPU on the PC and doesn’t slow Revit down.
- Local session caching, files downloaded during a session will be retained for reuse during the session.
- Our cloud services are highly optimised for speed and scalability, meaning that no matter how many users are using the system or how much content is being required the system can support users with a quality user experience to the limits of the internet bandwidth available.
- Our content is delivered compressed where ever possible.
Need more help? Please contact us or submit your inquiries via the contact form, below.